Nottingham Clarion CC Forum Forum Index

<  Club Runs  ~  Sat 16th June -delay 45mins - 9.45am depart

Satnav
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Meet: Lime Kiln (now Little People Nursery)

Time: SUMMER SCHEDULE
Group 1 ???
Group 2 9.30am meet for 9.45am start- circa 18.5mph - new time

Leaders:
Group 1: ??
Group 2: Sat-Nav

Cafe: Farmer's Den Mountsorrel - 42 miles (11.30am)

As we have been to Doddington Hall recently and there is a south-westerly wind and rain currently forecast in the afternoon, the route is going to stick closer to home. Total route is 67 miles with 42 miles to the cafe at Farmer's Den so we make the most of the dry morning and are close to home if rain does come in.

From the Lime Kiln, we go to Harby then Hose and climb out of the Vale at Pasture Lane before going to Scalford, Waltham and Freeby. It's past Stapleford Hall and then up Cuckoo Hill across to Pickwell and Somerby. We descend down to Twyford via Burrough and climb up again before dropping down to the Wreake Valley at Queniborough and then into the Soar Valley via Ratcliffe and Cossington. Arriving at Rothley we turn North for Farmer's Den on what will seem strange as it is normally a cold Winter's day stop. (42 miles -11.30am)

The return journey is a 25 mile route via Sileby and Seagrave upto Six Hills and across the top of the Vale to descend into the West End of Long Clawson and back to the Lime Kiln via Hickling and Kinnoulton. Total distance 67 miles. We should be back at the Lime Kiln for 1.30pm and miss the rain. Climbing is 900m so not flat by any means

The strava Link is:

https://www.strava.com/routes/13746429

Last edited by Satnav on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Satnav
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:00 am Reply with quote
Very wet at the moment. I'll take a decision at 7.30am and post up. My thought is to delay start by one hour until 10am and take a shorter route to the cafe although I expect the faster group may stick to the original if they don't want a cafe stop.
RobS
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote
Is anyone intending to stick to the original route and time?

Rob
mechanic
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jun 2007 Posts: 1244 Location: back in the garage
Yes, I'm planning on sticking to original route & time.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Thanks Phil. See you there
F=ma
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:02 am Reply with quote
I might be. Give me a call. Chris

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
Iím going with the 9am group but will probably wait at the cafe for a social ride back. Helpful if someone could let me know the later groupís eta at the cafe. Thx. Chris

P.S. No rain on way to LK. Roads damp but no standing water to speak of.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Seven riders were waiting at the Line Kiln at the later 9.45am but I wasn't amongst them. The sidewall of my new tyre blew out at the bottom of my road so I had to go home and change it - fortunately I was in walking distance. Luckily also I had Adam with me so he went to the Lime Kiln, picked up the group and brought them back to my house by which time I had got a new tyre.

I had to improvise the route and was busy calculating in my head where to go to get back on course. So we headed South into a headwind to Willoughby then down Nottingham Lane to Grimston and Asfordby. Despite the wind, there was no hanging around.

We carried on to Great Dalby then took the lane via Moscow Farm to Burrough on the Hill. We were back on course and went down to Twyford and climbed up the B road to above Baggrave Hall and enjoyed the road down yo Queniborough.

The first and welcome tailwind came as we crossed over the big A607 roundabout at East Goscote. Once through Ratcliffe and Cossington, we got a tailwind again going from Rothley to the cafe. We arrived at 12.10pm to an empty cafe - no Chris. Top food, quickly served, we then made the return journey aided by the tailwind. The group split at Nottingham Lane near Old Dalby with four heading back direct to Keyworth and four carrying on back into the Vale and descending from the ridge top down into Long Clawson.

We managed to stay dry although it was raining a little at Asfordby on the way out. Arm warmers and gilets on the way out but it as much warmer when we left the cafe and actually saw a little sun.
F=ma
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Four of us gathered at the original start time. Actually the weather was fine outside Keyworth and Phil, Rob, Mike Campbell and I made swift progress to the cafe - helped for a little of the way by Tom Chandler.

When we got there Phil was persuaded to a quick stop and, in the absence of any news of the other group, I decided to ride back with the same quartet rather than risk sitting there for ages and then having to ride back alone. I reckon we must only have left about 5 minutes before the others arrived.

Riding with a decent tailwind, the pace picked up on the way back and we finished with an average of 19.5mph. Pretty good considering how lumpy the route out had been.

See you all next week.

Chris

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the ride yesterday. I didnt know it was a later start so turned up and rode with chris phil and Rob. Was glad we talked phil into stopping as we werent hanging about on the ride out and i was just about hanging on.
Good ride good company
Mike Campbell