Nottingham Clarion CC Forum Forum Index

<  Multisport: Trialthon, Duathlon etc.  ~  Duathlon 2018 - Races & Reports

john-o
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 May 2007 Posts: 1467 Location: Bingham
It's nearly duathlon time again. Anyone else excited? Well, never mind...

I would really encourage anyone to have a go - especially at the Stathern Duathlon. Being a better than average cyclist is a huge advantage + running is easy (technically).

Here's a few forthcoming events (I'm doing the ones in bold):

* Grafham Water 18/02/2018: Great course. A bit early for me and a bit short notice if you fancy having a go...

* Bedford Autodrome 11/03/2018: First race of the year for me and my first ever draft legal duathlon. Sprint distance. Bound to get a kicking.

* Clumber Park 17/03/2018: Lovely running in the park, but sketchy bike course on the surrounding roads. I'm giving this a miss in favour of...

* Stathern Duathlon 18/03/2018: Great little race on local roads. Sprint distance (5K runs from Red Lion to Dove Cottage and back + 11 or 12 miles on the bike). Get involved, it's on our doorstep! http://www.stathernduathlon.org.uk/

* Battlefield Duathlon - Naseby 18/03/2018: 3 distances to choose from (Sprint/Standard/Middle) and great course - rolling rural roads.

* Carsington Duathlon 22/04/2018: Another favourite of mine. 5K run at the reservoir, hilly bike leg in the surrounding countryside (and then the run again, of course).

* PACTRAC - Peterborough 29/04/2018: Never done this one before, so thought I'd give it a crack. Sprint distance, but with 2nd run only 2.5K (which is nice).

* Darley Moor 27/05/2018: Not sure if I fancy this or not as it's 8 laps of Darley Moor on a TT bike (+ some running), which sounds a bit dull. Will see nearer the time...

Then it's a break until the Autumn.

Last edited by john-o on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Bedford Autodrome 11/03/2018

I picked a tasty one for my first race of the season and first go at a draft-legal duathlon. This was a World Champs qualifier event + was being used as a warm-up for next weekend's British Champs, which is on the same course. Most of the country's top duathletes were there. And me.

I was 93rd out of about 400, which I'm not too disappointed with - I generally aim to be in the top 25% of these things. When the winner knocks out a 15:26 5K and 38 people run it under 17 minutes, I've not got much of a chance / hope!

I started off with a good 5K run, which was possibly a new PB by a couple of seconds + I loved the bike leg, which was 4 laps of a 3 mile circuit, with quite a few tight corners, but also some fast bends and decent straights.

By the end of the first lap I'd managed to form a litle group with 4 or 5 of us working quite well and catching a lot of people. Great fun, made up about 40 places and was in the top 10% of bike splits. Halfway around the last lap we caught a big group of much faster runners and although me and another chap broke away, they weren't far behind and we'd towed about 20 guys into the second transition. And pretty much of them ran past me on the 2.5K second run! I had a bad run, even by my standards, but got it done.

It was an hour of flat-out racing and thoroughly enjoyable.

Just for a laugh, here's how I compare to the winner, Danny Russell:

Me: R1: 18:46; Bike: 29:02; R2: 11:26 [!]: Total: 1:00:25
Him: R1:15:26; Bike: 28:08; R2: 08:28: Total: 0:52:56

Thanks to Phil for building me the bike I raced it on. Some pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgMmXeZjO77/?taken-by=john_odell_uk

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Well done John...I suspect there are not many folk who describe themselves as 'not good at running' who can run a 18:46 5k!
Volante
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
Awesome result! Well done ... and, yes, such an average runner .... Rolling Eyes

“On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow.” [Friedrich Nietzsche]
john-o
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote
Thank you both!

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
Stathern Duathlon had been postponed due to the forecast snow, ice, -8 windchill and 40+mph winds. Can't argue with that logic.
They are going to reschedule for later in the year...

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations on the earlier good result John!

Hopefully I might be around for the rescheduled stathern...although it is definitely a long shot looking at my calendar.

I did look at the Peterborough one...think you misread the 2nd run only being 2.5km...
john-o
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
WilliamN wrote:
Congratulations on the earlier good result John!

Hopefully I might be around for the rescheduled stathern...although it is definitely a long shot looking at my calendar.

I did look at the Peterborough one...think you misread the 2nd run only being 2.5km...

Sounds like they are aiming to run Stathern in the Autumn.

I'm glad you spotted my mistake on the Peterborough - that would have been a nasty surprise. What a muppet...

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
A couple of back-to-back Sundays of duathlons:

22/04/2018: Carsington Duathlon
Usually one of my favourite races, but it didn't go well. I had a top 20 place in mind, so shouldn't be too disappointed with 21st chap (23rd overall - also beaten by 1 lady and 1 relay team), but the performance wasn't great.
First run was OK. It's a slightly lumpy off-road / gravel 5K run and I did it in just under 20 minutes. However, I failed to nail the bike, which uses 15 miles of the hilly terrain around that part of Derbyshire. They had to take out the big climb from Wirksworth to Middleton Top this year, but replaced with an absolute monster from Wirksworth to the delightful named Godfrey Hole. This beast would make for a decent Hillclimb route. It was a toss-up whether a TT bike was any advantage over a road bike, due to the amount of climbing and descending. The second run was an unmitigated disaster - the route was the same 5K and I lost over 3 minutes (that's a minute per mile!) compared to my first run. Anyhow, the sun was out so I got to work on my tan and it was fun (sort of).

29/04/2018: Peterborough Duathlon
My first time doing this one. Quite a small event, brilliantly run by the PACTRAC triathlon club from the scenic village of Castor, near Peterborough. Great little event and a better performance from me. The run was on roads and paths, first one being 6K and quite hilly. The bike leg was an 18 mile rolling, sporting-type TT course, which I really enjoyed. The second run was 4K using most of the same roads and paths as the first (and my pace was only 5 seconds per KM off the first run, which is a shed load better than the previous week!). It was quite cold, pretty windy and fairly wet, but thoroughly enjoyable. I was happy with 6th place.

Some photos from Peterborough: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiXv34TBCmA/?hl=en&taken-by=john_odell_uk

Next duathlon will probably be the re-arranged Stathern on 23rd September. Would be great to see some Clarion folk taking part...